Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Way Back Wednesday: A Tribe Called Quest



It's weird to put A Tribe Called Quest in the Way Back Wednesday category because their music is just as relevant to me today as it ever was.  But, damn, "Can I Kick It?" was released in 1991.  I remember hearing it when I was in college and was just blown away.  It opened the door to a whole new hip-hop world for me, that had previously only been populated by Run DMC, LL Cool J and Beastie Boys.  (I grew up in Florida, what do you want?)

I'm really excited to see the new documentary Beats Rhymes & Life: The Travels of A Tribe Called Quest directed by Michael Rapaport, who went on tour with the band when they reunited in 2008.  The film features interviews with Kanye West, Common, Beastie Boys, Mos Def, De La Soul, Pharrell and The Roots.  Just watching the trailer makes me all excited and pumped.  It opens on July 8th...I'll see you there! 

No comments:

Post a Comment