Thursday, June 30, 2011

New Music: Handsome Furs

Total NSFW artwork (that's not Alexei, btw)


I was already a fan of Wolf Parade, so it’s not surprising that I am a huge fan of Dan Boeckner’s side project Handsome Furs that he started with his wife Alexei Perry.  The music obviously reminds me of Wolf Parade, since it is the same haunting vocals of Dan Boeckner, but it’s way sassier and synth-y.  To be honest, this is my first foray into Handsome Furs’ music even though this is their sophomore release.  It also just happens to be their first record written exclusively on keyboards.  Bold and wise decision, I say. 

I absolutely CANNOT get enough of Sound Kapitol.  I have been listening to it non-stop all week and every time I hear it, I like it even more.  I feel like I’ve been listening to a lot of synth-y 80’s pop influenced music lately and I’m not sure why.  Maybe because it’s summer and it makes me happy, or maybe it’s because I’ve got my finger on the pulse and this is all the cool new shit.  I hope it’s not because I’m becoming one of those people that only listens to music that is similar to what they grew up hearing (read: my mom + Motown).

I read that Dan and Alexei were trying to make a statement with this record to that electronic music doesn’t have to be cold and unfeeling.  If that was their mission, they have certainly succeeded.  This doesn’t surprise me, because I find that Wolf Parade music is very feeling and deep.  This is really apparent on songs like “Memories of the Future.”  The song builds into this mantra that is almost like a chant you do in yoga:

“I threw my hands to the sky
I let my memories go
I threw my hands to the sky
I let my memories go

I feel low
I feel alright
I feel low
I feel alright
I feel low
I feel alright”

It’s almost soothing, as though everything will be ok.  Then there are my other favorites like “Serve the People” and “What About Us?” where he begs of you to break his heart, as though that will make everything going on in the evil world okay.  Pretty deep shit, right?  “Repatriated” is about the future and where feelings have gone.  And, then there is my favorite song on the record, “No Feelings.”  Total Jeannie-Emo.  Almost immediately, this song made it to my favorite song playlist.  And, as the last song on the record, it leaves you wanting so much more.  This is why this record has been on a loop all week long.  I literally am craving it.

You can stream the record this week on KCRW, and download “Repatriated” below.  Sound Kapitol gets a lot of stars from me…so buy it now!


No comments:

Post a Comment