Thursday, June 9, 2011

New Single: Stephen Malkmus and The Jicks


Pavement are one of my ALL TIME favorite bands ever ever and ever.  I have had a longstanding love affair with Stephen Malkmus and his lazy style of playing wicked riffs on the gee-tar, as well as his poetic and metaphor-ridden indie rock anthems.  Pavement's break-up was like going through your parents divorce.  There were those shows where you could tell that none of them were speaking anymore and would literally fight on stage.  It was uncomfortable for everyone in the audience, like just get your shit together and play.  The domestic bullshit was not working and they sadly called it a day.  That was when Steve went solo and eventually founded Stephen Malkmus and The Jicks; the Jicks being a ragtag group of musicians he met in Portland - one of which was his new girlfriend who my friend Melissa referred to as Yoko and thankfully is no longer in the band.  Like all bad divorces, you kind of pick sides.  I chose Pavement.  Despite my love for all things Malkmus and that I liked his first record, the rest of the solo stuff never really inspired me the way Slanted & Enchanted or Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain did.  It was sad, but I had to let go.  But, then something cramazing happened.  Pavement reunited for a tour last year.  LOVE.  And, voila, my love of all things Pavement was renewed.  I even told a friend that I couldn't wait for Steve's solo stuff, thinking that his time with the old stuff would inspire him to produce some Pavement-esque ditties.

So, here we are, post-reunion, with the first single from Stephen Malkmus and The Jicks, "Senator."  Despite the timing being a little queer, what with Weiner-gate and all (the hook is "what the senator wants is a blow job"), the song is pretty good.  In fact, after a few whirls, I'd even dare say that it reminds me A LOT of Pavement; thus whetting my palate for Mirror Traffic, produced by Beck and out August 23rd on Matador.  I think Pavement fans will be quite pleased.  I know I can't wait!  Download "Senator" at Matablog.

Mirror Traffic tracklisting:


01. Tigers
02. No One (Is As I Are Be)
03. Senator
04. Brain Gallop
05. Jumblegloss
06. Asking Price
07. Stick Figures In Love
08. Spazz
09. Long Hard Book
10. Share The Red
11. Tune Grief
12. Forever 28
13. All Over Gently
14. Fall Away
15. Gorgeous George

No comments:

Post a Comment