Tuesday, June 7, 2011

New Music: Cults




I went to see The Vaccines at Amoeba yesterday with my friend, Murph from Hey Cool Kid (check out his blog for all the best new music!), and seeing how jazzed I was on The Vaccines, he recommended that I check out Cults.  He thought I’d like them since I’m super into the retro lo-fi/Wall of Sound stuff.  Well, he was wrong.  I don’t like them; I LOVE them!  How did I not know about this band before?!

Apparently, Cults are the hot new thing after receiving some pretty high marks from Pitchfork.  Their first single, “Go Outside,” was listed in Pitchfork’s Best New Music and they were tagged as one of their Rising Artists before they had even played one live show.  I know why…it’s a really great song!  Not too bad for a couple of 21 year olds New York City transplants from San Diego.  So, here they are, signed to Lily Allen’s label on Columbia, In The Name Of and celebrating the release of their first full-length LP. 

Their music is straight up indie melodic pop music that is heavily influenced by the girl groups from the 60’s.  Madeline Follin’s voice is sugary sweet and haunting at the same time.  And, the music, while still influenced by the 60’s bands, is way heartier and deeper with a lot of texture and layers.  “Never Heal Myself” is a really bittersweet song about not changing for anyone.  “I could try to heal myself and turn around to someone else but I could never be myself so fuck you.”  Uh yeah, not exactly something you would hear The Shirelles sing.  I also really loved “Oh My God,” “Most Wanted” and “Never Saw The Point.”  But, honestly, the entire record is tops for me.

I highly recommend streaming the whole record at their website.  


No comments:

Post a Comment