Thursday, June 23, 2011

New Music: The Chain Gang of 1974



Have you ever dated someone and thought you really liked them a lot, then realized that you liked the idea of them way more than you actually liked them?  This is how I felt about Wayward Fire by The Chain Gang of1974 after my first listen.  I am so blind in love with the first single “Undercover” that I would marry it, my expectations were just too high.  “Undercover” knocked my socks off straight away; I somehow expected for the rest of the record to immediately do the same.

Since I am the queen of giving second (and third) chances when it comes to dating, it’s only fitting to give Wayward Fire another chance as well.  This time, I listened to it really loud and definitely saw it another light.  The Pulp-ish “Stop” starts out the record, then dives right into the Daft Punk-ish “Devil is a Lady” and flows into the dance-y “Hold On,” which practically leapt onto my gym playlist.  I have to admit that I am a fan of the 80’s influence in a lot of the current bands out there, but it’s weird to me to hear current songs and think that they could literally be from the 80’s.  “Heartbreakin’ Scream” may as well be a b-side on a Thompson Twins record and, I’d need to check, but “Taste of Heaven” might be on the Valley Girl Soundtrack.  The menagerie of 80’s influence and sound may turn some people off.  To me, it means the songs are likeable and familiar; like that Forenza sweater I just can’t get rid of.  I really loved “Matter of Time” and “Teenagers.”  And then I heard “Don’t Walk Away,” which is a total homage to “Atmosphere” by Joy Division with the same soul piercing melody.  That alone had my ears bulging, but it was the lyrics that had me at hello.  “I've waited all my life to know you in this way.  I've waited all my life.  I ask and I pray.  Don't walk away.”  Seriously?!  I’m such a dork teenager listening to this song over and over again, all emo and shit.  Damn you, Chain Gang of 1974!!

So, I guess the moral of the story is to not judge a book by its cover and to trust your first instinct…if you think it’s something good, you should give it a chance.  Don’t just give up on a good thing because you’re unsure or not sure if it’s not exactly what you’re used to.  You could be missing out on something as fabulous as Wayward Fire!  

The record is streaming right now at his website, where you can also download "Hold On" for free.


                       


No comments:

Post a Comment