Tuesday, April 3, 2012

New Music: Oberhofer





Oberhofer's debut Time Capsules II is probably one of the most appropriately named records I have heard in a long time.  Listening to the record is like stepping in a time capsule and going back to a time when things were easy, fun.  It's not just because the music has a very 60's vibe to it, almost like Pet Sounds or Donovan. Maybe it's because Time Capsules II transports you to that awesome moment when you realize that you're falling in love, whether it's reciprocated or not.  It makes you feel that love, the chance at love, when heart is good, hopeful and happy.  My vote is that it's because of all that dang xylophone.  I love it.  It's got me mesmerized.  Whatever it is, it's working.

The record opens with "HEART" and rolls straight into "Landline," which transports you to a time when people had more than one phone.  "If I don't pick up the phone, call the landline."  "Away Frm U" and "I Could Go" are both so catchy, it hurts.  I could sit here and wax poetic about how every song on the record is my favorite.  It's hard when every song really is your favorite.  Songs like oOoO,""Cruisin' FDR" and "Haus."  LOVE.

Time Capsules II is abundant in melody, harmony and lush orchestration.  It wraps you up in a snuggly blanket and fills you with endorphins of love.  I love that all of the hope and emotion that you hear in the lyrics is perfectly illustrated in the music.  With every tap of the xylophone, a young person in love has their first kiss.  What Time Capsules II does for me is wipe away the bitterness and replace it with loving hopefulness. Maybe I will find love!!  Maybe even today!!

No comments:

Post a Comment