Thursday, April 12, 2012

New Music: Alabama Shakes

So far this year, I have loved a lot of bands.  Yes, I know...I'm kind of a music slut.  But, that's just what I do.  I'm a lover.  Of good music.  Not to diminish my feelings for all the others, but I think I'm ready to settle down.  And, the lucky band is Alabama Shakes.  I am so excited about their debut record Boys & Girls (out on ATO Records this week) that I can't stop preaching the Alabama Shakes gospel.   This is definitely my favorite record of the year thus far.  Boys & Girls has something for everyone. It's soulful, it's blues-y, it's rock, it's romantic, it's big, it's Southern.  It's the one record that I feel like I could tell most anyone I know that they will undoubtedly love it and mean it.  Some of the songs were previously released on the band's self-titled debut EP.  That’s only worth mentioning because it just means four less new songs we have to enjoy from the band. 

“Hold On” is the first single from the record and is definitely the one to suck you in and entice you to hear more.  Immediately, you’ll be mesmerized by Brittany Howard’s voice and the sheer soulfulness and maturity it encompasses.  It’s like Joe Cocker, Janis Joplin and anyone with a “Howlin” in front of his name had a baby.  You would think that this 23 year old woman had lived through a thousand years and was here to tell you about it.  “Hold On” has been in my head non-stop for the last week, which has been keeping me in a good mood, but only makes me wish that everyone around me could hear the song as well.  If I had one-tenth of the singing voice of Brittany Howard, I might be able to share it with others.  But, that's not gonna happen.  If it did, they'd also hear me singing “I Found You.”

“This isn't sometimes
Yeah, it’s for always
If I'm gonna love you with all of my heart
And if there is no more time
This always remains
Even as the world spins itself apart

Cuz I remember the day
I waited so patiently 
For God to bring someone
Who's gonna be good to me
And He blessed my soul

Cuz I've traveled a long way
And it took a long time
To find you,
But I finally found you.” 

Makes me want to go out and fall in love, just so I can have someone to share this song with.  Hmmm...I think I just wrote the headline to my Match.com profile.

If that doesn't work out, I can continue obsessing over the rest of the record.  While I love the whole thing, I would be remiss without highlighting "Hang Loose,” “You Ain’t Alone,” “Boys & Girls,” “Be Mine” and “On Your Way.”  I honestly could sit here and name check the entire tracklist of Boys & Girls as my absolute favorite and not be exaggerating at all.  It’s that effing good.  

I have two recommendations for you this Spring: one is to go out and immediately buy Alabama Shakes’ Boys & Girls and the second is to see them live.  Best show I’ve seen in a really long time.  Chills.  Not only will you experience something special, but you’ll be able to tell your friends many years from now that you saw the amazing Alabama Shakes at (insert small venue here) way before they blew up huge.  And, then you can tell them that your friend Jeannie told ya so.

No comments:

Post a Comment