Friday, April 27, 2012

New Music: Maps and Atlases


In doing some research on Maps & Atlases, I found that they are often referred to as a Math Rock band.  But, what I hear in Beware and Be Grateful is not really what I consider to be "math rock."  Maps & Atlases' sophomore release is pure folk-twinged poppy fun with an experimental lean.  Okay, maybe it's a little math rock.  I just don't want to give you the impression that it's total nerd herd, because it's not.  It's actually a really great record full of songs about love, loss and getting over it all.  Maps & Atlases started at Columbia College in Chicago, IL in 2004.  Since then, they have released two EP's and their debut full-length Perch Patchwork.  I'm not going to lie...I am not really familiar with that record.  But, now that I've heard Beware and Be Grateful, I'm kind of mad at myself for not noticing sooner.

The opening track "Old and Gray" engulfs you in this sweet sounding song about love lost.  The song takes a turn at the end when singer Dave Davison starts wailing "when you are old and gray, I hope that someone holds you the way that I would."  Truth. That kind of sealed the deal for me.  Just as you're trying to shake that lyric off, the second track "Fever" comes in and lifts you up.  It's got a pep in its step and makes you feel all festive.  Almost like you've been transported into some sort of Americana dance party.

"Remote and Dark Years" is bursting with haunting harmonies and has one of my favorite lines:

"I've got a drawer full of your notes
and word games that we played on plates
and five pages at least of you practicing
signing your first with my last name
...
And all the writing on the wall
is under three coats of paint
in an apartment we don't live in anymore"

So great.

I also really loved "Vampires."   Fuzzy and melodic, it will have you bobbing your head and dancing around the living room.  There's something very Peter Gabriel/Hold Steady ish about it to me.  Random combo, but it works.  I loved the Caribbean-tinged track "Old Ash."  It brings your spirit up before leading into "Important," the husky howled melancholic serenade that closes out the record.

"It's very important for you to know what I was listening to
it is very important for you to know that I was thinking of you

that I was thinking of you
in those last sounds
in those last sounds
and when the curtain closes
find what you're looking for"

The song is so simple and heartfelt, it leaves you with a bittersweet taste in your mouth and wanting to hear more.  I don't even feel like I have peeled back all the layers of this record and I can't wait to dig in and try.  Beware and Be Grateful is out now on Barsuk Records. I am aware and VERY grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment