Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Braziliantly Perfect Record: Weezer - Pinkerton

Weezer - Pinkerton

There was a period of time in my life where things were a little sideways. I was coming to grips with life not exactly working out how I had planned, nursing a perpetually broken heart and working through some general shit. Weezer's Pinkertonwas there for me. Like a good friend telling me to buck up. Things were going to get better. And, they eventually did.  Which makes me love this record even more than normal.


I can't tell you how excited I was when, after breaking up and basically being dead in the water, Rivers decided to get the band back together (sans Matt Sharp, sorry) and hit the road. I'll never forget hitting Warped Tour with throngs of screaming teenagers and feeling so happy to hear all my favorite songs played live. I am willing to say that I cried at least once.  That was the first of many shows I got to see (including some really awesome ones at small venues). Say what you will about Rivers, but he can write a fucking song. He may have gone a little too poppy and  lightened up now that he's married and with child, but he has written some of my favorite songs of all time.
This is a quintessential record for Weezer and one of my favorite records of all time.

Listen: "Tired of Sex," "No One Else," "Good Life," "El Scorcho" and "Falling For You"


See also:  Weezer's self-titled debut album aka the Blue Album (also completely perfect)


No comments:

Post a Comment