Thursday, June 21, 2012

Braziliantly Perfect Record: Possum Dixon - New Sheets


PossumDixon - New Sheets

Back around 1998 when New Sheets came out, I was fairly obsessed with it. I wasn't reminded of it until Celso Chavez from Possum Dixon passed away recently (sad) and it reminded me of them and how much I liked them back in the day. So, I popped it on. This is a really good fricking record. It's produced by Ric Ocasek, which is usually a winning formula for me. He's got a way of making indie rock poppy and pop indie rocky. I really dig his style. And, I dig Possum Dixon too.


Possum Dixon is one of those bands that were beloved in LA, had moderate success at college radio and just never took off. I don't really know why, but they have a real knack for writing great pop songs. This record reminds me of a time when I first started my last job (I was there for 13 years) and we had a communal radio that we all listened to. My work BFF Shannon and I loved Possum Dixon and Built to Spill, while the youngun in the office was absolutely obsessed with Incubus (pre-fame). We would often fight over the radio and our boss would end up breaking the tie by tossing on some Aphex Twin to shut us up. Yuck. But, Possum Dixon always brings me back to that time when I was excited to be working in the music biz. After not listening to this record in eons, I'm happy to say it still holds up!

Listen: "Only In The Summertime," "Firecracker," "New Sheets" and "Heavenly"


"Only In The Summertime" courtesy of MySpace:



Only In The Summertime

No comments:

Post a Comment