Friday, May 20, 2011

New Music: TV on the Radio



I am absolutely OBSESSED with TV On The Radio’s newest release, Nine Types of Light. I would say that I am a fan of TVOTR, but not a huge fan. I like their albums as a whole, and in concept (I can be a sucker for out-there, ambient, thrashy beats). In fact, I listen to “Wolf Like Me” every day; it’s one of my favorite songs of all time. That said, Nine Types of Light has catapulted me from a casual fan to an uber-fan. But, my now refreshed love of TVOTR is not really for the same reasons that I used to love them. Where Return to Cookie Mountain and Dear Science were avant-garde and experimental, ethereal and ambient, Nine Types of Light is a soulful, pop record with love songs. Some songs are still reminiscent of the fuzzy-loopy beats, but they stay at a tangible pace, not diving as deep into the psychosis of sound. And there are a few songs where I get a real The The vibe, which pulls things together like a good rug.

As a whole, I love the entire record. It’s impossible to pick a favorite since my favorite songs change every time I listen. It’s got this great lounge-y feel-good vibe going on, but the best part is that it never gets old. It’s romantic (“You”); it’s fizzy (“All Falls Down”); it’s sweet (“Keep Your Heart”); it’s soulful (“Second Song”); and, it’s sexy (“Will Do”).

If the rapture comes this weekend, this is what I want blasting.

No comments:

Post a Comment