Friday, May 13, 2011

My friend, Gabe.



It takes a lot to render me speechless, but this week I heard some news that not only took my voice, but it broke my heart.  My friend, Gabriel Ben-Meir, was tragically taken from us way too soon.  It’s hard to even find the words to describe the pain that shivered through my body when I heard the news.  Devastating.  Heartbreaking.  Incomprehensible.  Senseless.  Gut-wrenching.  Crushing.

Gabe was the brother of my friend Lexi, but I had gotten to know him on his own, rather than just as Lexi’s brother.  We became friends by seeing each other at concerts, going on hikes and various get togethers.  He had a presence that made you want to hug him, though he never wanted you to.  And, he always made you smile, even if it was because of his ridiculous contention that he wasn’t working hard enough at the gym (he would spend two hours on the Precor, THEN do a Tae Bo class). 

Gabe was the sweetest guy.  He was a real gentleman and was always so thoughtful.  If you were sitting around and mentioned that you wanted a Clark bar, he would excuse himself and run to the store to get you one.  No questions asked.  He was a great cook.  My friend Carlyn would host Iron Chef dinner parties and you could always count on Gabe to bring something that you’d never think of and that was the best tasting thing on earth.  I can still taste his Chorizo, Spinach and Corn salad like it was yesterday.  I’d give you the recipe, but I think he just made it all up from scratch.

When I think of Gabe, I also think of all of the people who loved him.  His sister.  His parents.  His friends.  His co-workers.  Gabe touched the lives of a lot of people who will miss him dearly and whose lives are forever changed by this senseless act of violence.  This week has been spent thinking about him and how special he was, and praying for peace and love to those who cared for him most.

I can’t help but think of a line in a song by The Smiths - “There Is a Light That Never Goes Out.”  To everyone who knew him, Gabe is a light that will never go out.  We’ll miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment