Wednesday, August 15, 2012

New (to me) Music: Japandroids


Sometimes I hate myself for being a judgmental music snob.  It's this arrogant bullshit that almost makes me miss a band just because I think they have a stupid band name.  It wouldn't be the first time.  I used to have nightmares about how much I hated the name Badly Drawn Boy.  Although I love his work with the About A Boy Soundtrack, I still smirk in disgust when his name is mentioned.

Fortunately, I am a mature adult and have moved past this part of my life.  This is where the Japandroids come in.  I kept hearing their name and this is what came to mind: J-Pop, Videodrone (don't ask) and corny rap-metal (I actually pictured shiny pleather catsuits and spiky boots).  What I found out when I ACTUALLY LISTENED TO THE MUSIC, was that they are AMAZING!  And, I love them!  And, they might be one of my new favorite bands.

Celebration Rock is full of awesome party anthems best served with a pint of Guinness and a dash of fist pumping.  I pop it on before setting out on a hike and pick back up 30 minutes later totally energized and ready to go.  "The Nights of Wine and Roses" is my favorite song right now.  Before, it was "The House That Heaven Built" and I feel as though it's going to keep changing with each and every listen (my money's on "Continuous Thunder").  I picked this one up from Amazon when they were running one of their amazing mp3 sales.  I highly recommend you doing the same.

YAY Japandroids!!


No comments:

Post a Comment