Thursday, May 31, 2012

New Music: The Cribs




I don’t know what it is about The Cribs’ music that is like kryptonite to me.  With each new release, I have a tendency to glob onto the record and obsess over it until I am forced to walk away and pick up something new.  There is something a little “Jeannie Emo” about the brand of punk rock their serving up.  Maybe it’s their addictive melodies or maybe it’s their simple and familiar chord structures.  Either way, their music is smile inducing and addictive.  In The Belly of the Brazen is no different from my favorite of their records: Men’s Needs, Women’s Needs.  From the opening track of “Glitters Like Gold” I find myself in my happy place.  Then comes “Come On, Be A No One.”  I’ve already waxed enough poetic about how much I love this song, but I have to say that I love it more every time I hear it.  I loved “Jaded Youth” and “Anna” - easily in the top five best songs on the record.  “Chi-Town” is another high paced catchy punk rock song that has a somewhat four-chord structure reminiscent of the Ramones. “Pure O” is the perfect example of a song that has that melody that makes me all gooey inside.  I could listen to it all day.  One song that stands out (not because I’m all emo-gaga over it) is “Back to the Bolthole.” It reminds me of J Mascis and Dinosaur Jr.  Kind of an interesting direction from The Cribs and I like it. 

I missed The Cribs when they played in Minneapolis (I happened to be there visiting) because it was too cold.  I guess I’m not as punk rock as I think I am.  I won’t be making the same mistake when they play Los Angeles on June 15th at the El Rey.

Don’t be like a DirecTV commercial and be me and miss them play live.  Go buy tickets now:

06/05 - Johnny Brendas - Philadelphia, PA
06/06 - Irving Plaza - New York, NY
06/07 - Black Cat - Washington DC
06/08 - Motorco Music Hall - Durham, NC
06/09 - Masquerade: Hell Stage - Atlanta, GA
06/11 - Fitzgerald's: Upstairs - Houston, TX
06/12 - The Parish - Austin, TX
06/15 - El Rey Theater - Los Angeles, CA
06/16 - Great American Music Hall - San Francisco, CA
06/18 - Venue - Vancouver CA


No comments:

Post a Comment