Wednesday, April 13, 2011

New Music: The Belle Brigade

The Belle Brigade
Reprise Records

I first heard of The Belle Brigade when they were doing a Monday night residency at Spaceland in Los Angeles and was blown away the first time I saw them.  For me, it’s pretty rare to see a band for the first time, not know their music, and love it so much that I bob around like I’ve been a fan and friend of the band forever.  That’s the way that The Belle Brigade makes you feel - like you’re part of the group and always in on the fun.   The Belle Brigade consists of siblings Ethan Gruska and Barbara Gruska, who grew up in LA to a music-centric family.  Their dad was a songwriter for people like Michael Jackson, Janet Jackson and Dusty Springfield and their Grandfather was a film composer for movies such as Star Wars, Jaws, E.T. and Raiders of the Lost Ark.  Sounds like destiny.

The first song that really stuck with me was “Losers.”  It’s a melancholic song that almost perfectly describes that feeling of what it’s like when you realize that you’re finally growing up.  The song is sung in perfect harmony by Ethan and Barbara, and really kind of gives you a gut punch.  The album as a whole is this really great rootsy homage to 70’s rock like Fleetwood Mac and Paul Simon.  It’s got the Americana vibe, while also being poppy, fun and sing-songy in a way that is different than a lot of stuff out there right now.  Tracks like “Sweet Louise,” “Where Not to Look For Freedom” and “Lucky Guy” have an infectious positive energy that immediately brings a smile to your face.  With all that energy, there are also songs like “Punch Line” and “My Goodness” that show the depth and range of their songwriting abilities to break your heart with just one chorus.

Since I got this record, I haven’t been able to stop listening to it.  And, when I’m not listening to it, I’m singing it to myself.  I suggest their version for you…stay away from mine.  You can catch The Belle Brigade on the road with G. Love & Special Sauce through the end of April and then opening for k.d. lang through July.  Definitely not a show to be missed!

  Latest tracks by The Belle Brigade 

No comments:

Post a Comment